This is one of Alexs favorite soups. To him, ideally, it tastes fresh out of the diner cup. This is a pretty good rendition of that classic taste, courtesy of Martha Stewart.
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
1 lb broccoli, cut into florets, stems peeled and chopped (1 find this is about 1 to 2 heads)
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt & pepper
dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
1. In a medium pot, melt butter over medium. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. About 8 minutes.
2. Add flour and cook, stirring until combined, 1 minute.
3. Whisking constantly, slowly add broth and 1 cup water and bring to boil over high. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 10 minutes.
4. Add broccoli and bring to a simmer. (I add as much broccoli as I can fit in there). Cook until broccoli is very tender. 10 to 20 minutes.
5. Blend soup to desired consistency and return to heat.
6. Add cream an
I like to cook and I love to eat veggies fresh from the garden!