1 pound spinach
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, diced small
1/3 cup heavy cream or creme fraiche
1. Stem (if large leaves), wash, and drain spinach
2. Melt butter in a heavy pan over medium heat and add onion. Cook until tender, about 7 minutes, then add spinach and cook until just wilted. If there is a lot of liquid in the pan, bunch the spinach to one side, press it to squeeze out as much liquid as possible, and pour it off.
3. Return to stove and add a pinch or two of salt and heavy cream.
4. Cook at a boil until the cream has reduced and thickened around the spinach. Taste for salt and adjust as needed.
5. Finish with pepper
- Add 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped, with the salt and cream
- Finish the dish with a squeeze of lemon juice or a sprinkle of wine vinegar
- Add 1/8 teaspoon or so of freshly grated nutmeg with salt and cream
*This recipe is adapted from Alice Water's The Art of Simple Food