2 large onions, cut into strips
about 4 lbs of tomatoes, cut into thin wedges, try using different colors for dazzling effects!
2 cups shredded cheese (gruyere works nicely, but so do others)
olives, pitted (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Line tart/pie pan with crust
3. Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil/butter over medium heat. Add onion, stir around, cover, and turn heat down to low. Every 5 minutes or so, check on onions and stir occasionally. Continue to cook until onions are extremely soft and are beginning to carmelize. (About 20 minutes). Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
4. Once onions have cooled, place in pie pan and spread around bottom.
5. Place cheese on top of onion.
6. Arrange tomato slices in concentric circles. This is where I like to have fun with colors. Make it pretty!
7. Then if you enjoy olives, place them around the pie.
8. (If using pie pan, wrap tin foil around edges to keep from burning. Remove when only a couple minutes are left)
9. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling.