12 ounces dried Chinese egg noodles or Italian spaghetti
3 tablespoons salted black beans, chopped finely
1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
3 tablespoons neutral oil
1/3 cup minced shallot (2 to 3 bulbs)
1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger (2 by 1 inch chunk)
1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 to 3/4 fresh chile pepper of choice, seeded and minced
4 to 5 cups bok choy that has been washed and dried thoroughly, then cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 cup minced scallions, root and dark tops removed
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped finely
1. Bring about 3 quarts of water to boil and add noodles. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold running water.
2. While noodles cook, combine the black beans, water, rice wine, soy sauce, sugar, and sesame oil in a small bowl, and stir together.
3. Heat a wok or 12 inch wide skillet over medium high heat until the pan is very hot. Swirl in the oil, coating the surface. Add the shallots and stir fry, tossing and sitrring, about 1 minute. Then add the ginger, garlic, and chile pepper, stir frying for an additional 30 seconds. Add the bok choy, tossing to coat with the aromatics. Stir fry for about 3 minutes; the greens will wilt and shrink. Add the sauce, and bring to a boil, about 90 seconds.
4. Add the noddles, using both tongs and maybe even a large spoon to toss and coat the noodles with the suace and vegetable mixture.
5. Keep the noodles moving until t
I like to cook and I love to eat veggies fresh from the garden!