1 onion, chopped
3 cups peas
1 small head of lettuce, shredded (romaine works great)
2 2/3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
5 to 6 lovage leaves, plus 4 for garnish
salt and pepper
1. Saute onion in the butter or oil until soft
2. Add peas and lettuce
3. Pour over the stock, bring to a boil, and simmer gently for 4 to 6 minutes, until the fattest of the peas are completely tender.
4. Remove from heat and add the lovage leaves, then blend the soup in a blender. Blend until desired texture is reached.
5. If soup is too thick, thin with a little stock or water.
6. To serve cold, chill in the fridge.
7. To serve hot, reheat, stirring occasionally, but do not all it to boil.
8. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
*Adapted from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's The River Cottage Cookbook