2.5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
¾ cup Arborio rice
½ lb sausage links
large bunch of mixed greens (tuscan kale, green kale, chard)
3 tablespoons butter (optional)
Parmesan cheese (optional)
Salt & pepper
Fresh Herbs (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and then add the greens. Cook for 30 seconds until a nice bright green color and then remove and put immediately into ice water. Remove greens from ice bath and squeeze out extra liquid. Then cut into strips and set aside.
2. Heat stock until almost boiling and then keep over very low heat
3. In a heavy saucepan, cook the sausage. Once cooked set aside and when cool enough, cut into bite size pieces.
4. In the fat from the sausage, sauté the onion until soft but not browned
5. If you have any fresh chopped herbs, add them in now
6. Add the rice and stir well for a 30 seconds to coat the grains in the oil. Let them begin to turn color and then add a third of the stock and bring to a gentle simmer
7. Cook until nearly all the stock as been absorbed, stirring regularly, but not all the time
8. From this point on, continue to add a little stock at a time, keeping rice at a gentle simmer and stirring occasionally. When you have about one third of the stock left, add the greens and the sausage into the rice. Continue to cook until the risotto is nicely al dente and the texture is loose and creamy
9. When risotto is finished, stir in the butter (you can use less if preferred), parmesan, and salt & pepper.
10. Serve & Enjoy!
11. If you have leftovers, try them the next day fried as risotto cakes!