From Alice Waters The Art of Simple Food
2 fennel bulbs
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
grated zest of ¼ lemon
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
salt & pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped fennel tops
1. Trim off the tops from the fennel bulbs and savea few of the feathery leaves for garnish. Pull off and discard any discolored or dehydrated outer layers
2. To make the dressing, stir together the lemon juice, lemon zest, vinegar, and salt & pepper. Whisk in the oilive oil. Tast and adjust with salt and lemon juice as needed.
3. Thinly slice the fennel crosswise.
4. Toss with the dressing and garnish with the fennel tops.
1. Parmesan cheese curls, sliced with a vegetable peeler make a wonderful garnish
2. Try using Meyer lemons and double the amount of zest
3. Add 1 ½ tablespoons chopped green olives to the dressing
4. Mix 2 tablespoons parsley leaves in with the fennel
5. Sweet peppers, celery, and radishes can be sliced and tossed with the fennel