Ever since I met Alex, he has been trying to convince me of the virtues of the biscuit. I kept trying to explain to him that I am a bagel kind of gal. But then, during a cross country road trip, somewhere in Tennessee we pulled into a small diner where Alex ordered Biscuits and Gravy. When our food arrived, my mouth instantly began salivating and I had to steel a bite of his food. Ever since then, I have been sold and have been trying to figure out how to recreate that diving dish. This is no means a finished product, but this is the best Ive got so far.
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup heavy cream plus 1 tablespoon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Mix together flour, salt, and baking powder
3. Pour into food processor and add butter
4. Pulse until butter pieces are the size of small peas
5. Pour back into bowl and add 3/4 cup cream. Stir just enough to barely incorporate
6. Knead just a few times to bring together and then put out on floured surfance
7. Roll out until 1/2 inch thick and then fold into thirds on top of each other
8. Roll out again and repeat folding
9. Roll out one more time and cut into 1 1/2 inch circles. You can reroll the scraps but these dont usually turn out as good
10. Brush with reserved cream.
11. Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper about 17 minutes or until golden br
I like to cook and I love to eat veggies fresh from the garden!