3 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, sliced thin
5 cups water
3 cups (about 2 lbs) shelled peas
1. Heat butter in a heavy-bottomed soup pot.
2. Add onion and a pinch of salt and cook over medium heat, stirring often.
3. When very soft but not browned, pour in water and bring to a boil.
4. When the water boils, add peas.
5. Cook at a simmer, sitrring occasionally, until peas are tender (about 5 minutes).
6. Puree the soup in batches in a blender.
7. Taste, adjust seasoning, and serve.
8. If reheating, stir frequently to avoid scorching.