*Makes approximately 4 servings
2/3 cup rice
2 green peppers, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeds and membrane removed and minced
3 or 4 pieces of okra, chopped
2 asian eggplant, chopped
1 ½ cups chopped tomatoes
½ teaspoon salt
pinch of cayenne
½ teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
2 Tablespoons melted butter (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Cook rice. Add dry rice to pot with 1 1/3 cups water, pinch of salt, and a drizzle of olive oil. Place lid on put, and bring to boil. Once at a boil, put on low heat and simmer for 15 minutes. (Do not remove the lid). Then turn off heat and let sit for at least 5 minutes before removing lid.
3. In an oven proof pan, jeat a tablespoon of butter/oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion, pepper, celery, eggplant, and jalapeno. Cook for a few minutes until they begin to tenderize, and then add okra. Cook for one more minute and then add tomatoes.
4. Add salt, cayenne, paprika, and Creole seasoning and cook until vegetables are tender.
5. Add melted butter, rice, and any meat you may want to add and stir together.
6. Cover pan (or place in a greased baking dish), and cook covered for 30 to 40 minutes.