(You should feel free to skip some vegetables and add others - experiment!)
3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2" chunks
1.5 teaspoons salt
6 Tablespoons butter
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 parsnips, peeled and sliced 1/4"
2 stalks celery, sliced 1/4 "
2 beets, peeled and diced
2 medium celeriac, peeled and diced
2 cups brussels sprouts, halved
2 Tablespoons italian parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
15 oz vegetable broth
3 cups fresh spinach or chard
1. Place sweet potatoes in pot with 1 teaspoon salt and cover with cold water
2. Bring potatoes to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes (until tender)
3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, add 2 tablespoons butter. Once melted, add onions and cook for about 10 minutes.
4. Add parsnips, beets, brussels, celery, celeriac, parsley, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss
5. Add broth, increase heat, and bring mixture to simmer
6. Let mixture simmer for about 20 minutes - or until vegetables are tender - then remove from heat
7. Use a clotted spoon and transfer vegetables to casserole dish or a 9" pie plate
8. Drain potatoes, return to pot, and add remaining butter and then mash the potatoes until smooth
9. Spread the potatoes over the vegetables
10. Set broiler to high and broil 3-5 minutes, until lightly browned
11. Sprinkle with nutmeg and enjoy!
*adapted from a recipe from Blooming Glen CSA's website